1866 White Rock Baptist Church began services held in the home of Mrs. Margaret Faucette. The first building was constructed in the 1870’s and the church name was created based upon the large white flint rock in the front yard. The church provided services to the community that were not available to African Americans in the segregated South.
1869 The Saint Joseph’s AME Church was founded by Edian Markum. Churches were paramount in the community it influenced the growth of the Hayti neighborhood.
1881 Caleb B. Green, a representative for Orange County in the legislature introduced a bill for the establishment of a new county to be named Durham
Durham County: A History of Durham County, North Carolina by Jean Bradley Anderson